5 Small Steps Towards a Healthier Lifestyle & $1000 Giveaway #QuakerPopped
I have found that the older I get, the harder it is to maintain my weight and a healthy lifestyle. Not only is my metabolism slowing down, but my life is the busiest it has ever been. These two realities combined often lead me to grab unhealthy snacks from the pantry, leave me exhausted by the end of the day. Not to mention the weight gain that follows.
For 2013, I really wanted to make a change in my life for the better, but I didn’t want to be overwhelmed which endless hours at the gym or eating carrots for breakfast. As they say, there is only one way to eat an elephant, and that is one bite at a time. Small steps, this was the key to sticking to new habit.
I have put together some steps that I am working on (and hope to work on) for this year and I hope they help your path to a healthy lifestyle as well.
5 Small Steps Towards a Healthier Lifestyle
- Eat smaller portions. I didn’t realize that the portions I was accustomed to were too big until I was pregnant with my first son and had to visit a nutritionist due to gestational diabetes. When she presented the plastic food portion sizes to me, I was shocked to see how small they were. My nutritionist told me that the key to a healthy diet was adding more smaller portions throughout the day, verses 3 LARGE meals. It was definitely a lifestyle change cutting my back portions, but was not difficult to implement at all. I often fall off the wagon with this one, but quickly jump back on and feel better because of it.
- Take more walks. Not only is walking healthy for your body, but your mind as well, which leads to less snacking on unhealthy foods. As a blogger/writer, walking is a fabulous way for me to get up from the desk and clear my head, which leads to less eating of salty and sugary snacks.
- Cut the fat. Cut the fat out of your life by making small changes in the snacks you choose. Instead of grabbing a candy bar, go for a low fat snack instead. Fruit and vegetables were put on this Earth for a reason, so eat them, too!
- Drink more water. I am the most guilty of this one. I prefer to sip coffee all day, which isn’t my best quality, I’ll admit. I have found, however, that if I keep a big bottle of water on my desk while I work, I tend to drink more of it. Sometimes a brand new, awesome water bottle does the trick as well.
- Get more sleep. This is the one step that I haven’t mastered yet, but I know that getting a full night’s sleep every night would make a significant difference in my physical stamina each day and I wouldn’t turn to food as an extra energy source.
Quaker® Quakes® are now Quaker® PoppedTM – a new name for the snack made with the delicious goodness of whole grain brown rice and corn and a great snacking solution.
Reply below for your chance to win a sample of all 14 flavors of Quaker Popped Rice Snacks and $1,000 gift card to help you achieve your New Year’s resolutions.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Quaker. I received product in conjunction with this post. The opinions and text are all mine. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. See Official Sweepstakes Rules
If you enjoyed this post, follow us on Facebook for more goodness.