Cool Finds: Gorgeous Painted Floors

Hardwood flooring is a weakness of mine. I can’t get enough. Actually, I’m fortunate enough to be renting a home that’s full of it — every room, save for the bathroom, has this amazing, original flooring and it’s a thing of beauty.

Another thing of beauty? Painted wooden floors. Here are just a few that have me reaching for my brush!

painted wood floors 01. So cheerful!

painted wood floors 02. I want to cozy up on this floor — just like that kitty!

painted wood floors 03. Perfect for big design on a small budget!

painted wood floors 04. Dying for this effect in my kitchen. Wow!

painted wood floors 05. So delicate, so sweet.

I used to feel like it was sacrilege to paint wood, especially old wooden furniture or floors, but now I’m not so sure… it’s just so pretty! (Probably my landlord would raise an eyebrow, but how could you say no to these darling floors??)

How do you feel about painting wooden floors? Would you ever try it in your own home?

[ad#large-rectangle-adsense]

If you enjoyed this post, follow us on Facebook for more goodness.

Pin It

Desiree Fawn

Désirée Fawn is a Canadian mom, blogger, and doula. She's a tea enthusiast, social media connoisseur, and lover of travel. Her blog, So Fawned, began in 2008 as a way to document her life as a young mother, and has morphed into space featuring daily inspirations, insights into motherhood, style, home, and more. Désirée lives in Ontario with her daughter and partner. Follow @sofawned on Twitter and Instagram.

33 Responses to “Cool Finds: Gorgeous Painted Floors”

1. #
    Lisa Thornbury — November 7, 2011 at 8:20 am

LOVE this idea so much. I’d be terrified to try this on my own, but if I could persuade my talented artist friend to do it…. hmmmmm, may give her a call today.

• Desiree Fawn replied: — November 7th, 2011 @ 9:24 am

@Lisa Thornbury, Ooh, please share pics if you do! I’d love to do at least ONE room, ya know?

2. #
    Maria — November 7, 2011 at 8:43 am

I would probably only paint wood that was very old & needed to be refinished!

• Desiree Fawn replied: — November 7th, 2011 @ 9:25 am

@Maria, Fair enough! Could be a great look to paint up some pretty distressed floors — give it that fab rustic look, without actually having to distress the wood yourself! :)

3. #
    April Decheine — November 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

Those floors are so beautiful, I would love to do something like that!

4. #
    Donna — November 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

I’d love to have an old farmhouse and paint the floors. :-)

• Mom Spark replied: — November 7th, 2011 @ 11:39 am

Oooo, I would too.

5. #
    Mya Maternity — November 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I love them, it is so beautiful. Doing it on my own would be a different story though because I’m not talented in this aspect at all. I would love to have it in my home, just not done by me.

6. #
    Tamara {Delish Mag} — November 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Great pictures! We actually did paint the floors in our previous house! When we bought it, they floors were covered in a disgusting, smelly carpet. We wanted to pull up the carpets and refinish the hard wood, but it turned out they were so stained we couldn’t sand them enough. So, we decided to paint. We’re big fans of Scandinavian interiors and they often have painted floors, and it really REALLY worked in that house. Oh, I’d like to do it again in this current house! Wait! I am actually in a room with a floor we painted! Ha. We painted the floors in the old house a shiny grey, and this one is a more matte black. Truly love the effect of both.

We haven’t tackled any designs yet, though!

• Mom Spark replied: — November 7th, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Oh, that is so cool! Do you have any pics?

7. #
    Shop with Me Mama (Kim) — November 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

This is a very cool idea!!

8. #
    Lisa — November 8, 2011 at 5:11 am

These floors are beautiful – never thought to paint floors except in a basement. Could you also paint vinyl I wonder?

9. #
    gingerlyspice — November 8, 2011 at 10:46 am

Wow! I love these beautiful painted floors. What fabulous Idea..

10. #
    Patti P(Fluffs Enough) — November 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love all of these!

11. #
    Melayahm — November 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Does anybody actually walk on these floors? I’ve have never seen a painted floor that didn’t end up looking scratched to hell. And touching up some of these designs would be tedious if not impossible. Even yacht varnish to protect it would end up looking dull

12. #
    Susan — November 13, 2011 at 6:23 am

Such a cool idea! I love the subtleness of the designs. I have lime stone tile in my kitchen that is etched and stained… It makes me crazy! It would cost me $1200. Dollars to have it professionally diamond honed, polished and sealed. Ive even priced what it would cost to rip it all out and replace it with a rustic ceramic tile. Does any one knowif this technique will work on this soft, porous material?

13. #
    Jennifer @therebelchick — November 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm

These are so pretty!

• Mom Spark replied: — November 21st, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

I’m glad you enjoy them!

14. #
    Hazel — November 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I love these floors!! Our wood floors could use a re-finishing…so I’d love to do this before we get them done. What have we got to lose!??
    Can you suggest what kind of paint to use? Put a polyeurethane over it? and then where do you get a huge stencil like that??

thanks for any feedback!!

• Deanna replied: — December 27th, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

@Hazel, I used a stencil design on my bedroom wall and it turned out great!

I have pet-stained hardwoods in various rooms of my house. I think I’m going to order another stencil and do “area rugs.” Thanks for the ideas!

15. #
    Mel — December 26, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I have always wanted a checkered floor in my kitchen….I love the fact that this one is wood, and you can tell that it’s wood flooring; makes it so rusticly chic! I love it!

16. #
    Kate — January 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I love this idea! Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing!

17. #
    MWest — January 20, 2012 at 3:58 am

Gone are the days when painting floors was an idea that not many accepted but these days, it is one affordable and accessible floor renovation technique that home owners are becoming thankful for. With the many paint colors and design ideas that are available these days, being in the flooring Houston industry, it sure is great to know that there are many options for house owners these days.

18. #
    flooring Honolulu — May 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Wood flooring can really look like a mess if it will not be well-maintained. Aging caused by season or climate change can really bring a different exposure to each piece of wood. But, with a balanced dose of creativity and patience, bringing out a classier look is not impossible. With the photos you posted, we’re sure people would love to think again as to how to improve their old wood flooring.

19. #
    Tony Richards — July 26, 2012 at 8:58 am

Like yourself I’m a lover of solid wooden floors. In fact when I moved into my new place the first thing I did was take up the carpets to see what kind of flooring I was dealing with (fortunately it was lovely).

Before reading your article I never considered floor painting as being a method of interior design to add another dimension to the living space. The designs you’ve shared are gorgeous! Did you ever get around to making your own versions at home? I’m definitely tempted. I can imagine some vintage-style/ French furniture fitting some of the patterns above perfectly. Almost shabby chic.

20. #
    Heather Wood — August 1, 2012 at 2:12 am

Wow, you have inspired me!! I hope it’s ok that I share some of your ideas on my blog?!

21. #
    Cassandra Morgan — September 1, 2013 at 5:38 am

Ive done this! On my grandmother- in-laws kitchen floor!

Its too fun, can’t wait to have a place of my own and hopefully do it again.

22. #
    Fareed@Bathroom Designs — June 15, 2014 at 11:21 am

Really Cool Floor Designs, I personally like the first one, the yellow Painted floor. Thanks for sharing this Idea

23. #
    Salena Brit — July 12, 2014 at 5:55 am

Nice Flooring. I liked the 3. no. flooring.

24. #
    Keputihan — August 18, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Nice Idea, I love no.1, the yellow so fresh !

Trackbacks/Pingbacks