This may sound strange, but Earth Day is one of my favorite holidays. I suppose it’s the combination of spring coming and the idea of getting outside, whether that means recycling, planting new flowers, or just enjoying this time of year.
To celebrate Earth Day arriving, I have put together some fun ladybug and frog parfaits that you and your children will “dig.”
See what I did there??? Grab the recipe below. 🙂
Yield: 4 (1/2 cup) servings
DIRECTIONS TO MAKE PUDDING
1. Pour the pudding powder into a mixing bowl. Add the milk and whisk for 2 minutes until thickened.
2. Transfer the pudding to your desired serving glasses and refrigerate.
3. Place the 15 Oreo cookies into a food processor and pulse until they are fine crumbs. Set aside.
4. Cut the edible grass into 3-4 inch pieces and set aside.
HOW TO MAKE 2 OREO LADYBUGS
1. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the red candy melts for 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth.
3. Place 2 Tablespoons of the melted red chocolate into 2 cookie molds. Place an Oreo cookie on top and cover with additional melted red chocolate, up to the top of each mold. Chill for 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
4. Gently pop out the 2 red Oreos from their molds and place on the lined cookie sheet.
5. Remove the icing from a mini Oreo cookie. Be sure to scrape both cookie pieces so there is no icing remaining. Dab a small amount of black icing to the back of each cookie piece (the side that has the Oreo logo) and place on each red Oreo.
6. Apply white icing to the back of four candy eyes. Place 2 candy eyes on each mini Oreo piece.
7. With the black icing tube, dab small dots all over the body of each ladybug.
HOW TO MAKE 2 OREO FROGS
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the green candy melts for 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth.
2. Cut out 2 small oval shapes from the red Airheads candy for the frog tongues. Set aside.
3. Break off the tops of the 4 tiny pretzel twists and discard. Dip the 4 pretzel pieces into the melted green chocolate and place on the lined cookie sheet, in pairs, next to each other. (These will be the frog legs).
4. Dip an Oreo cookie into the melted green chocolate. Tap off any excess chocolate and place on top of the 2 pretzel twists that are side by side. Repeat for the second Oreo to make a total of 2 frogs.
5. Before the green chocolate hardens, sprinkle green confetti sprinkles on the body of the frog.
6. Insert the red tongues onto the front of each Oreo cookie. Hold in place for 10-15 seconds.
7. Place 2 candy eyes on top of each Oreo frog, holding in place for 10-15 seconds. Have the bottom of each candy eye rest on top of the frog, towards the front of the cookie.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE PARFAIT
1. Sprinkle the Oreo crumbs on top of the pudding in all of the serving glasses, covering entirely.
2. Insert 6-8 pieces of edible grass into the pudding, towards the back of each parfait.
3. Place 3 blue candy melts (representing a water pond) on each parfait, in front of the grass.
4. Place a ladybug or a frog on top of each parfait (4 total).
5. ENJOY!! HAPPY EARTH DAY!