This recipe is for all the Nutella fans. Today I have a very simple yet packed with flavor recipe for Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers. It only takes a few ingredients and takes like it could come straight from a bakery. Nutella pairs amazingly well with tangy cream cheese in this delicious treat.
I was inspired to make this recipe when I saw a recipe over at the Country Cleaver. I tweaked the recipe a bit after trying the original. I changed the filling ratio as well as making the turnovers a bit larger, as I found the first batch to be cut too small and my filling started spilling out when baked. Many thanks to Country Cleaver for the inspiration for this recipe. Enjoy!
Yield: 12 large turnovers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
2 sheets puff pastry
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Nutella
For Egg Wash:
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. water
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350-f degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and Nutella. Mix with a handheld mixer for 1 minute, until thoroughly combined.
3. Roll out the puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface into a 12" by 12" square. Trim the uneven edges so you have a nice edge all around the puff pastry. Using a pizza cutter, cut each sheet into 6 equal squares.
4. Using a spoon or a small scoop, drop 1 Tbsp. of chocolate filling into the corner of each square of puff pastry. Make sure to leave enough space along the edges so they can be crimped shut. Fold the puff pastry dough over to form triangles. Lightly dab two of the four edges of each turnover with water before crimping them shut. Transfer the turnovers to the parchment lined baking sheets.
5. Prepare the egg wash by beating together one egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Brush each turnover with the egg wash.
6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool.
7. To garnish: Dust with powdered sugar. In a small bowl, warm Nutella in the microwave. Pour into a small Ziploc baggie and snip off a tiny corner. Drizzle each turnover with warm Nutella. Enjoy!