Spring Break Movie Night Ideas
It’s hard to believe that Spring Break is next week! Of course, my kids are very excited to have a week off of school to sleep in, wear pajamas all day, and play as they please. Personally, I’m most excited about the sleeping in part – ha!
Since we do plan on staying home this Spring Break, I’ve been brainstorming ideas for keeping the kids entertained and ways we can spend this precious time together.
One of our favorite activities to do together at home is watching movies, so I know that will be one of the “must-dos” on our list. Fortunately, OPEN SEASON: SCARED SILLY is now available on Blu-ray and DVD, so I’ve added it to our movie night list!
About the OPEN SEASON: SCARED SILLY:
Elliot, Boog and all your favorite woodland creatures are back in a brand new, comedy adventure, OPEN SEASON: SCARED SILLY.
When a case of mistaken identity leads both humans and animals to believe there is a monstrous werewolf on the prowl in Timberline National Forest, former hunter Shaw seizes on the opportunity to re-open open season. With Shaw on the loose and all the animals at risk, it’s now up to Boog, Elliot, and Mr. Weenie to face their fears, track down the elusive werewolf, and get open season closed permanently.
Of course, movie nights aren’t complete without a snack to munch on while watching the show, so I plan on making one of my family favorites – s’more cupcakes! Seems fitting for a movie about animals and the outdoors, right? 🙂
Here’s how to make them!
Scared Silly S’more Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter softened to room temp
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup [or 5 oz] bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- 12 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- a few graham crackers, crushed into large crumbs
- 12 large marshmallows [plus a few extra just in case]
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 1 muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a stand mixer on medium speed, combine butter and sugar and beat until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and beat till smooth, scraping sides as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. With mixer on low, alternate adding 1/3 of the flour mixture with 1/3 of the milk at a time into the butter mixture and mix just until incorporated.
- Fold in 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips. Spoon batter into cupcake liners until 3/4 full.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until cupcakes are golden. Remove from oven to cool fully.
- Crush Grahams and set aside.
- Preheat oven broiler to low. Set marshmallows on a well oiled baking sheet and broil just until golden. WATCH VERY CAREFULLY! These cook very quickly – I recommend watching the entire process as they can burn in an instant.
- Top each cooled cupcake with a generous portion of ganache, sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and then top with a toasted marshmallow.
Why am I craving sweets now? Ha!
What activities do you have planned for Spring Break this year? I hope you will have a family movie night, too! You can purchase OPEN SEASON: SCARED SILLY on Amazon and Walmart.com to get prepared. 🙂
This post is sponsored by Sony.