Easy Apple Almond Pastries Recipe
Know what I love about pastries? They are desserts that you eat for breakfast. In this case, made even more acceptable because they have fruit!
The fruit makes a pastry healthy, right? Right!
Apple Almond Pastries
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 4 apples, cored, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 can almond paste, broken into pieces
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg + 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- milk (enough to get to desired consistency)
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
Optional currant glaze:
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly, warmed in microwave until very thin
1. Prepare almond paste: In a food processor add the filling ingredients and pulse until combined. Set aside. Prepare apples if you have not done so.
2. Preheat oven to 400-f degrees. Roll puff pastry sheets into 10"x10" squares. Cut each sheet into four squares. Lay pastry dough onto a large sheet of parchment paper on top of your baking sheet. Spread filling diagonally across puff pastry sheets. Add a layer of sliced apples. Fold over two corners, dabbing a bit of water on the bottom corner ends so they stick together. Brush pastries with prepared egg wash.
3. Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. While pastries are baking, prepare the powdered sugar glaze. Remove from oven to cool. Glaze apples with red currant jelly if using, then glaze with prepared powdered sugar glaze.