Easy Dutch Apple Pie with Crumb Topping Recipe
This delicious Dutch Apple Pie is made with a homemade pie crust, apples,, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a tasty crumb topping!
A Step Up from a Traditional Apple Pie
Today I have an amazing recipe for a delicious Dutch Apple Pie with Crumb Topping. It just may be the perfect apple pie.
Made with a homemade pie crust (or ready-made crust), apple filling, lemon juice, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg! A step up from a traditional apple pie, though there is nothing better than baked apples and a flaky pie crust am I right?
The golden delicious crumb on the top of this homemade apple crumble pie makes all the difference. Serve however you prefer, warm with ice cream or whipped cream, or maybe chilled from the fridge.
In my opinion, this is the best apple pie I have come across and I owe it to the streusel topping. I have a feeling you’ll never go back to a regular apple pie again after giving this apple crumb pie a try and getting rave reviews!
8 BAKING TIPS
- Always Have the Correct Butter Consistency.
- Room Temperature is KEY.
- Read the Recipe Before Beginning.
- Always Have Ingredients Prepped.
- Learn How to Measure.
- Weigh Your Ingredients.
- Get an Oven Thermometer.
- Keep Your Oven Door Closed.
Ingredients Needed for Dutch Apple Pie
For the apple pie filling and bottom crust:
Homemade Pie Dough Crust or Ready-Made Pie Crust: You can either make your own pie crust from scratch or buy a pre-made one from the store.
Sliced Apples (Cooking Apples or Tart Apples): Choose apples that are a little sour, like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Braeburn. They add a nice contrast to the sweetness.
Lemon Juice: This is a tangy liquid from lemons that keeps the apples from browning and adds a hint of citrusy flavor.
Sugar: This is a sweet, granulated substance that makes the filling sweet and delicious.
Brown Sugar: A sweetener with a rich, caramel-like taste, often used in baking.
Flour: A powdery ingredient that helps thicken the pie filling, making it less runny.
Cinnamon: A warm and aromatic spice that gives a cozy flavor to the filling.
Nutmeg: A fragrant spice that adds a gentle, nutty taste, complementing the other flavors in the pie.
- pie dish or pie plate
- medium bowl
- large bowl
- pastry blender or fork
- tin foil (if the top of the pie gets golden brown too early)
- baking sheet (optional if you want to bake pie on a baking sheet)
Get and Print Recipe
Dutch Apple Pie with Crumb Topping Recipe
- 1 homemade pie crusts or 1 ready-made pie crust
- 5 1/2 cups peeled cored sliced cooking apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Fit pie crust into the pie plate.
- In a large bowl, mix sliced apples, lemon juice, both sugars, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pile into crust.
- Prepare to top: In a medium bowl, with a pastry blender or a fork, mix flour, both sugars, and butter until coarsely crumbled. Sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes. (If your crust gets too brown early on, cover the edges of the pie crust with tin foil and continue baking)
- After you've baked the pie, let the pie cool for around 15 minutes, then serve with whipped topping, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or as is! Store leftovers in the refrigerator, covering the pie with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.