Herb and Citrus Oven Roasted Chicken Recipe
Roasted chicken can be beautiful and elegant when cooked with fresh herbs and sliced citrus.
A large platter and a few reserved herbs are all you need to present a gorgeous dinner. For extra flavor, you can marinate the chicken for several hours ahead of time, but even when making this on the spot the chicken will have great flavors. Serve with a salad and some crusty bread.
Many thanks to The Comfort of Cooking for this recipe.
Herb and Citrus Oven Roasted Chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 whole lemons one juiced and one sliced
- 2 whole oranges one juiced and one sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 10-12 pieces about 4 1/2 lbs. bone-in chicken parts (thighs and legs are best), pat dry
- 1 medium onion any kind, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary or fresh chopped
- Chopped fresh herbs rosemary, thyme, parsley, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, orange juice, Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a rimmed 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place parts skin side up and spread them out evenly in the pan. Pour olive oil mixture all over chicken, turning pieces to coat all sides. (If you marinated the chicken in this mixture, still add it all in). Arrange slices of lemon, orange and onion around and under the chicken. Sprinkle all over generously with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. Remove parts to a serving platter and garnish with additional chopped fresh herbs, if desired.