Sweet Potato Puffs with Gorgonzola Sauce and Bacon Recipe
Are there any other gorgonzola lovers out there?
Ever since I started making sauces with blue cheese and gorgonzola, I am looking for any excuse to make more. For example, these Sweet Potato Puffs with Gorgonzola Sauce and Bacon. As it turns out, sweet potato and gorgonzola go incredibly well together. Add in freshly cooked bacon pieces and you are looking at one amazing side dish. Pair this with a steak and you are on your way to the perfect dinner.
Sweet Potato Puffs with Gorgonzola Sauce and Bacon
- 1 bag sweet potato puffs prepared according to bag directions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup warm half and half
- 5 ounces gorgonzola divided
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled bacon
- If you have not already done so, cut up the bacon into small pieces and cook. After the bacon is cooked, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain the grease. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven according to the directions on the bag of sweet potato puffs. Bake, again according to the directions on the bag. I had to add on an extra 10 minutes to make them nicely browned and crispy, but ovens vary so please check your puffs and see if they need any extra time. While the puffs are baking, prepare the sauce.
- For the sauce, add the butter to a saute pan and melt over medium heat. Add the flour, stir well and cook for one minute. Add the warm half and half and stir. Add the gorgonzola cheese and stir well. Bring to a low simmer and heat for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- To serve, add the sweet potato puffs to a plate and spoon the cheese sauce over the puffs. Sprinkle with green onions and bacon. Serve immediately.