What to Do in the Plaza District in Oklahoma City (OKC)
Check out all of the Oklahoma City (OKC) districts in this post.
Of all of the OKC districts, I have spent the most time in the Plaza District. Why?
Well, it helps that I have good friends who live in the district for one. Secondly, it’s a unique pocket of stellar restaurants, shopping, and art. In fact, The Plaza has outstanding, colorful murals throughout that actually warrant an annual festival (Plaza Fest) that brings in tourists from around the country to see these unique works of art in person. This small district is not so small when you see what it really offers.
“The Plaza District is home to galleries, studios, retail shops, restaurants, performance venues, and creative services. Choose from a variety of gourmet dining and drinking establishments and visit our retail shops featuring artist-made, vintage and retro clothing and home furnishings.” – PlazaDistrict.org
WHAT TO DO IN THE PLAZA
food and drinks:
THE MULE – HOT MELTS AND COLD BEER.
Indoor and outside seating along the busy 16th St of The Plaza.
Cheese curds (a must-get at The Mule) with ranch dressing and marinara dipping sauce. And a Moscow Mule, of course, because mule. Get The Mule’s menu.
MEXICAN RADIO – TACOS AND COLD DRINKS.
Outdoor patio with the most beautiful ceiling.
THE PRESS – SOUTHWESTERN COMFORT FOOD IN A REVAMPED OLD PRINTING PRESS BUILDING.
Chilaquiles: tortilla chips, red chili sauce, green chili sauce, jack cheese, avocado, over easy eggs with pork belly on top.
Full bar – this is a Tito’s and soda (my favorite drink) in a beautiful glass
Sweet Potato Fritters: sweet potato fritters tossed in cinnamon icing dusted with powdered sugar. Get The Press’ menu.
AURORA – STYLISH RESTAURANT SERVING LOCAL FOODS MADE FROM SCRATCH, CRAFT COFFEE BAR, AND LIBATIONS.
Get Aurora’s Menu.
GORŌ RAMEN – THE BEST RAMEN IN OKC*.
*according to me
Spicy Miso (my personal fav): rich chicken broth, roasted garlic miso, pork meatballs, corn, menma, ajitama, goma, negi.
Beautiful mural outside Gorō. See Gorō’s Menu.
- Empire Slice House – huge slices of unique pizza with a “Frank Sinatra and David Bowie” hybrid decor
- Pie Junkie – each pie, whether flaky crust or graham cracker crusts are made from scratch
- Saint’s Bar & Lounge – Irish pub (keep in mind for St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, too)
- Roxy’s Ice Cream Social – cane sugar sodas, ice cream floats, ice cream cookie sandwiches, and classic ice cream flavors
OUT ON A LIMB BOUTIQUE – MODERN AND BOHO-INSPIRED CLOTHING, JEWELRY, ACCESSORIES, AND HOME DECOR.
DIG IT – UNIQUE AND ONE OF A KIND ART, JEWELRY, T-SHIRT DESIGNS, AND VINTAGE CLOTHES. ALSO PINBALL, PACMAN OR DONKEY KONG!
- Tallulahlou – upscale clothing, accessories, and beauty products
- Bad Granny’s – vintage, retro, modern hip, and other curious goods
attractions and entertainment:
PLAZA WALLS – CURATED, ROTATING MURAL PROJECT IN THE PLAZA DISTRICT OF OKLAHOMA CITY MANAGED AND PRODUCED BY THE OKLAHOMA MURAL SYNDICATE (OMS).
PLAZA DISTRICT FESTIVAL – A COLLECTION OF ART, FOOD, VENDORS, LIVE ENTERTAINMENT, FAMILY-FRIENDLY ACTIVITIES, AND UPDATES ON WALL MURALS.
For a small donation, I was able to write my name on the Plaza Walls with spray paint colors of my choosing. So cool!
Check future Plaza District Festivals dates.
- LIVE! on The Plaza – the Plaza District’s second Friday art walk. Each second Friday, Plaza District businesses stay open late with featured artists, live music, special events, local shopping and much more! See future dates on the calendar.
- DNA Galleries – an artist made retail shop and contemporary art gallery focusing on Oklahoma artists and artisans
- Lyric Theatre – nationally-recognized, Broadway-caliber theatre
- PhotoArt Studios – old Hollywood glamour, with an edgy urban feel of industrial studio chic, making it the perfect venue for many of OKC’s private parties, receptions, and corp events
Founder of Mom Spark – a lifestyle blog for moms.