Easy Chili and Sweet Cornbread Recipe
This easy chili recipe is perfect for a football game party or family meal. Paired with sweet cornbread, you have an amazing dish!
When the weather cools down, I crave warm, hearty meals. Chili is a meal that my entire family can agree on, so we have it quite often. This chili recipe requires very little preparation and is SO easy to make. The sweet cornbread is simple to prepare as well and compliments the chili nicely.
This recipe is also perfect for having family and friends over to watch a football game. For large crowds, just simply double the recipe.
Easy Chili and Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef I often use a lean ground beef
- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 15 oz can of red kidney beans
- 13 oz can of stewed tomatoes
- 2 Alarm Chili Kit
- shredded cheese freshly shredded tastes best!
- chopped onion I prefer red, but white works as well
- water to likeness
- 2/3 cup milk I use 2% milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Simply follow the directions on the 2 Alarm Chili Kit package, but beware of the red pepper unless you like chili very, very spicy. I typically leave out the red pepper altogether. Even without it, it still has a little heat from the chili powder. (so you may omit some chili powder as well if you don't want any kick) I add more tomato sauce than the directions call for, as well as kidney beans and stewed tomatoes, after the spices are added. I also add a little water at a time so I can get the consistency I like. (not too thick, not too thin) I simmer for at least an hour before serving. (the longer, the better) When serving, add shredded cheese and onions. Sour cream would also be lovely.
- For the cornbread, follow the directions on the Jiffy box, times two. (use both boxes together) Add one tablespoon of sugar to the batter. Sugar makes a HUGE difference in the taste! (tip from my awesome Mother-in-Law) Pour in a 9x13 dish, or a 8x8 cake pan for a thicker cornbread. Bake at least 15 minutes, but it may take a bit longer. (depends on oven) Do the toothpick in the middle trick to make sure it is ready.
This recipe always leaves my family of four with TONS of leftovers, so I like to make it on a Friday night and finish it up over the weekend for lunches. I hope your family enjoys this as much as we do!
Founder of Mom Spark – a lifestyle blog for moms.
13 Comments on “Easy Chili and Sweet Cornbread Recipe”
I could go for some chili and cornbread today, it’s freezing out!
@Nichol, It is SO cold today here, too! Where are you located? It’s cold and rainy here in OK. We’re getting snow tomorrow!
@Mom Spark, I’m near Buffalo NY, snow country! We have been lucky so far this year but I know it won’t stay this way. We are still waiting on our first big snow storm!
@Nichol, Oh wow! Well, you are probably a pro, then. We get a few bad days every year and the whole state shuts down!
@Nichol, That’s how it is at my aunt’s in Baltimore. They get under a 1/4 inch and abandoned their cars and walk lol. We drive with 2 feet of snow! Stay warm:)
Until about a year ago, I’d never combined corn bread with chili. Someone turned me on to it and now its a must. Great combination! Thanks for the recipe!
@Digi Stitches Embroidery and Gifts, They go awesome together! Sometimes I even crumble the cornbread into the chili. 🙂
I absolutely love chili!! YUM! I just don’t like the aftermath, LOL..
Both the cornbread and the chili look great. If you’re using a cornbread mix, without a doubt, Jiffy is the best!
@Curt, I agree, BUT it has to have that sugar in it! I swear by it.
I love chili AND cornbread…my mouth is watering over this post!
@Jennifer @therebelchick, Well, then, you need to make this today! 🙂
Pingback: The KitchenAid Stand Mixer Changed My Life. | Mom Spark™ - A Blog for Moms