Pig in a Blanket Recipe
I will let you in on a little secret. I love appetizers. More than the main dish, even more than dessert. Dips, skewers, any variety of savory little treats that you can pop into your mouth are what I look forward to most.
Today I’m providing a very basic freezer-to-oven appetizer, Pig-in-a-blanket, that you can make as is, or add to if you’d like to liven things up. This recipe makes a ton and it is pretty darn affordable to boot.
If you are feeding little ones, look for healthy sausage options, like mini chicken and apple sausages.
For a little whimsy: Epicurious turned Pigs-in-a-Blanket into lollipops!
Pigs in a Blanket Recipe
- 1 package mini sausages of your choosing Lil' Smokies are great, if you can find chicken apple or other flavors, even better. Feel free to slice larger sized sausages into smaller pieces as well
- 1 package puff pastry thawed
When you are ready to bake, have on hand:
- egg wash
- poppy seeds or sesame seeds optional
- For serving: Provide spicy mustard barbecue sauce or ketchup
Prep for Freezing:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one sheet of puff pastry at a time into a 11x14 inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 7 1 1/2 strips, then cut each strip into 4 rectangles, each about 3 inches long. If the puff pastry gets too warm after all this, pop it back into the freezer just for a minute to chill. Once it is ready, proceed to step 2.
- Wrap one piece of puff pastry around each mini sausage. You can use water to close the seam if necessary, but pinching the dough will work too. Place seam side down onto a cookie sheet. Once your sheet is full, transfer to the freezer until completely frozen. Transfer to a freezer Ziploc bag, date it and store.
- Note: If you plan to bake these immediately, just pop them in the fridge at this point to chill the dough, then proceed.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Brush the top of each Pig-in-a-Blanket lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. (You can also omit them if you like). Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Keep your eye on it! Serve with spicy mustard or other condiments of choice.