Shortcut Chicken and Green Chilies Empanadas Recipe
Cinco de Mayo is almost upon us.
I have had a craving for empanadas for a while now and I decided to make a recipe at home that utilized store-bought pie crust dough. I came across a great tip for preparing shredded chicken when I was planning out this recipe. While the cooked chicken is still warm, put it into the bowl of a stand mixer with a flat paddle attachment. Lock the bowl and turn it to level 2 for about 30 seconds. Easy as that, perfectly shredded chicken.
The filling for this recipe can be as spicy as you like it, simply add more peppers. Poblano peppers are a bit milder or go hotter with diced jalapenos. For the shredded cheese, you can use your favorite. I used a Colby blend, but mozzarella, cheddar, or a Mexican blend also would work great. Enjoy!
Shortcut Chicken & Green Chilies Empanadas
- 2 reg. sized chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepper, cooked and shredded (see notes)
- 1 small (4 oz) can fire-roasted diced green chilies
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese (any flavor, pick your favorite)
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (2 sheets in a box)
- egg wash (1 egg + splash of water)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, chilies, cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Unroll the pie crusts onto a lightly floured, flat surface. Cut out into rounds, using a 3-inch cookie cutter. (I had to use a 2-inch cutter, which worked great, they were just extra small.) Re-roll dough as needed. Repeat procedure with remaining pie crusts.
2. Arrange the rounds on a clean, flat surface. Place a small spoonful of chicken mixture in the center of the round. Fold dough over the filling, pressing edges with a fork to seal. Repeat until finished.
3. Arrange empanadas on a prepared baking sheet. Brush with an egg wash. Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Ovens vary so keep watch them closely.
Inspired by a recipe from Paula Deen.All images and text ©