Red Hot Cinnamon Star Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream: July 4th Dessert
Apple pie is a traditional and much loved all-American dessert.
While planning my July 4th party, I came up with a delicious variation to the old classic, Red Hot Cinnamon Apple Pie, served with creamy vanilla ice cream.
Cutting the top crust into varying shapes of stars makes for a beautiful and patriotic presentation on this tasty pie. I ramped up the spicy cinnamon flavor with this dessert and vanilla ice cream is the perfect companion to tone down the heat.
Red Hot Cinnamon Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 sheets of premade pie crust
- 2 cans apple pie filling
- 3 oz. cinnamon red hot candies
- 1/3 cup. water
- egg wash (1 egg + 1 Tbsp. water)
- sanding sugar
- optional: red food coloring
- optional: 1 Tbsp. butter cut into small pieces
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- star cookie cutters* in several sizes
1. Preheat over to 375-f. Add the apple pie filling to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine 2 ounces of the cinnamon candies with 1/3 cup of water and bring to a low simmer, stirring frequently. Once most of the candies have been disolved, remove from heat and pour through a fine mesh strainer. Add to the apple pie mixture.
3. Add one sheet of pie crust to a pie plate, pinching the edges as seen in the photographs if desired for presentation. Add the apple filling to the pie crust. Sprinkle the top with remaining cinnamon candies. If desired you can dot the top of the pie with 1 Tbsp. of butter, cut into small pieces.
4. Lay out remaining pie crust and cut a variety of star shapes using cookie cutters. Add to the top of the pie. Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, checking half way through. If the edges of your pie are getting too brown, drape the edges with strips of tin foil and continue baking until the stars are golden brown. Let cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.