Uses for Lavender Essential Oil: The Swiss Army Knife
When in doubt, use lavender oil.
In essential oils circles, this is a phrase you’ll probably see pop up pretty often and it’s basically referring to the fact that lavender is SO good for SO many things, that if you’re not 100% sure what to try… bust out your lavender!
Personally, lavender essential oil is an oil that I use every single day, without exaggeration. Last night, my daughter had lavender in her bedroom diffuser and a few drops on her pillow before bedtime. Earlier this week I used it to clean out my dog’s ears with carrier oils, and I also applied a little to a blemish on my chin. Not only does lavender smell incredible, but the uses for it are also innumerable — hence its Swiss Army Knife distinction in the essential oil world.
If you’re new to oils, or if you’d love to learn more about how you can use lavender in your daily life, keep reading! I’m going to share a handful of ways you can take advantage of this multifunctional oil!
Lavender Essential Oil: The Swiss Army Knife
01. Diffuse at bedtime to promote relaxation and to create a calm and mellow atmosphere. You can also put a drop on your pillow or on the collar of your pajamas.
02. Add a lovely scent to your laundry by adding a few drops of lavender oil to your dryer balls or to a damp cloth before you toss your clothing in the dryer. A natural alternative to the dryer sheet.
03. Enjoy a lavender soak by adding a few drops of lavender oil to your running bath water which will help to diffuse the oils into the air as they are added to the tub. Breathe deeply while you soak and feel the calm wash over you.
04. Repel bugs with lavender oil added to a spritz bottle filled with water.
05. Combine with peppermint and lemon oils in your diffuser during allergy season.
06. Dab a few drops of lavender oil behind your ears and on your wrists to wear as a simple perfume.
07. Diffuse in your home to help promote a sense of calm and relaxation at any time of day, especially right after work or when the kids get home from school.
08. Use to clean cuts and scrapes. I use this on my daughter anytime she gets a cut or a scratch. Clean the wound, then swipe with a little lavender oil, mixed with a carrier oil if you’d like.
09. Skin rash? Try lavender. Its soothing properties are beneficial for many skin irritations and outbreaks due to allergens.
10. Soothe mosquito bites and bee stings with a few drops of lavender essential oils. This is a must-have for camping season and family picnics!
11. Cook with it! There are so many delicious recipes out there using fresh lavender or lavender oil. We only recommend Young Living oils for consumption purposes — always read your labels!
12. A few drops of lavender oil may give some relief to those who suffer from nausea or car sickness as well. Another great tip for summer!
13. Soothe skin that’s seen too much sun with lavender oil. You can mix it with a carrier oil such as coconut oil to cover larger body areas, like your whole back, or your legs. These feel incredible!
With so many awesome ways to use lavender oil in your home and with your family, you’ll want to keep a bottle handy at all times! I know I do!
Désirée is the Canuck mama behind So Fawned Lifestyle. Blogger, social media wrangler, go-to girl. Living the life with her partner Rich and awesome daughter Gretchen, she spends her days typing and drinking copious amounts of tea, and watching Gilmore Girl reruns.