S’Mores Toasted Marshmallow Cupcakes Recipe
No matter what holiday you choose to celebrate, or not celebrate, or anything between… there is always a reason to celebrate a homemade cupcake. Especially when it includes chocolate ganache and toasted marshmallows.
The only thing you need is a warm fire and a cup of cocoa to complete the joy.
It’s all in the little things, that joy. Little things like S’mores cupcakes – pass the cocoa!
These are very easy to make, and not too time-consuming. The chocolate ganache can be made a day ahead of time and stored at room temp, the graham cracker crumbs and toasted marshmallows are done in a matter of moments, and the cupcakes bake-off in 12-15!
There is really nothing like the real S’Mores experience, but if it is too cold outside, or you don’t feel like chopping wood for the fire, well these are, dare I say it – even better.
We want S’Mores Cupcakes
For Cupcake Batter:
- 1/4 cup butter softened to room temp
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup [or 5 oz] bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- 12 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- A few graham crackers crushed into large crumbs
- 12 large marshmallows [plus a few extra just in case]
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 1 muffin tin with paper liners
- In a stand mixer on medium speed, combine butter and sugar and beat until smooth
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat till smooth, scraping sides as necessary
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, alternate adding 1/3 of the flour mixture with 1/3 of the milk at a time into the butter mixture and mix just until incorporated.
- Fold in 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners until 3/4 full
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until cupcakes are golden and do not indent to the touch
- Remove from oven to cool fully
- Crush Grahams and set aside
- Preheat oven broiler to low. Set marshmallows on a well-oiled baking sheet and broil just until golden. WATCH VERY CAREFULLY! These cook very quickly - I recommend watching the entire process as they can burn in an instant.
- Top each cooled cupcake with a generous portion of ganache, sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and then top with a toasted marshmallow.
This recipe can very easily be made gluten-free, too! Just sub the flour for your favorite GF flour blend, and use GF Grahams. Easy!
Founder of Mom Spark – a lifestyle blog for moms.