Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
I love chocolate chip cookies. I love them so much that I have to limit myself to making them only every couple of months, otherwise I would be as big as a house!
In my quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, I have learned a few things.
1. Never melt your butter. Unless you like chocolate chip cookie chips.
2. If you live at high altitude, find and follow high altitude directions.
3. Measure your flour the way you were taught in home ec. in Jr. High – it’s really important.
4. Have your eggs at room temperature. I don’t know why, but it just makes for a better cookie.
5. If you can’t find the perfect recipe, the one that makes you think of the cookies your Mom made, then make your Mom’s cookies.
And with that, I give you my no fail chocolate chip cookies. These are the recipe my Mom made when I was a girl and now I make them for my kids. Enjoy!
Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1 1/2 C. white sugar
2 C. Shortening
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 T. baking soda
4 C. Oatmeal, blended
3 C. flour
1/2 package chocolate chips
1/2 package butterscotch chips
Mix brown sugar, sugar, shortening and salt. Add baking soda dissolved in 2T hot water and remaining ingredients. Drop onto a cookie sheet with 1 oz. cookie scoop. Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes (until golden brown).
These make a lot of cookies, probably 6 dozen (I usually get 5 dozen, but that’s because I eat so much of the dough!). So, if you don’t want to make that many at once, freeze half the dough.